Just like that car you are saving up for, your body needs fuel to run.
You wouldn't run your new car on no oil and cheap junky fuel, so why would you want to starve your growing body or just put junk food in it?!?
These are some of our ideas around giving your growing bones and muscles the best chance at a creating a healthy YOU.
- Eat breakfast EVERY DAY: We know, your bed is sooo comfy, and you leave just enough time to throw on your uniform and get your hair looking like you didn't do it, but breakfast wakes up your metabolism and lets your body start burning energy for the day. It will also help your brain in that first period maths class! Try wholegrain cereals or porridge with fruit or wholemeal toast- they will keep you full 'til recess.
- Don’t skip lunch or dinner either. Skipping meals messes with your metabolism and makes it think it needs to store energy and then it gets all confused- don't confuse it!
- Fast food, Soft Drinks and Desserts are definitely only sometimes food- even the Cookie Monster had to change his habits...
- Look for food that says it is Low GI- it has a slow release of energy and doesn't give you big spikes in your blood sugar level meaning you stay fuller longer and don't feel the need to snack on junk food all the time.
- Great healthy snacks:
- A Banana or Apple with a tablespoon of Peanut Butter
- Plain popcorn
- Baked corn chips
- Sweet Potato chips
- Yoghurt- throw some chia seeds in for a Low GI hit along with all of their other goodness!
- Have a glass of milk- not flavoured sugary milk, but make sure it is in your diet somewhere, giving you strong bones!
- Learn to say 'I don't' instead of 'I can't' when refusing junk food. You are 8 times more likely to stay strong when it is a decision you are making by choice rather than feeling like you're not allowed.