1. Hey NYUON- loving the new single, 'Your City', what inspired you to write this song?:
Thank you very much, I'm glad you're feeling the track. I guess 'Your City' was inspired by my experiences within the city of Melbourne. I wanted to make something that's easy to vibe and just chill to.
2. You won 2nd place in the Bank of Melbourne's Music Bank competition in 2014, tell us a little about that!:
When I entered the competition, I did it in a kind of "whatever" mind state only because I didn't think I would even make it into the first round selection, so to make it all the way to runner up was really really cool and definitely a major achievement in my low-key music career so far.
3. When did you realise you wanted to pursue music and what did you do about it?:
I've always wanted to pursue a career in music but I guess I just never thought to go through with it as I was always hesitant and constantly thinking "what if it doesn't work out" you know? But all of that has changed now thanks to the Music Bank, it's given me that boost and confidence that I needed mentally to fully chase after my goals and dreams.
4. Is there a story behind your name, NYUON?:
Nyuon is the name of an old South Sudanese hero figure and since I had the same name growing up, I always felt like I had huge expectations placed out for me. So naturally I grew up always feeling like "damn, I really need to surpass this guy Nyuon since we have the same name”.
5. What do you think were the best and worst songs of 2014?:
I didn't like Blurred Lines in 2014, it was too much! With that being said, a song I really liked was "Or Nah”, the remix by The Weeknd.
6. Which is artist is on repeat for you at the moment?:
Right now at the very moment I have Travi$ Scot on repeat, his music is dope!
7. Do you have any advice for others wanting to get their start in music?:
I would simply say “ just go for it”. I spent a very long time hesitating and then finally I gave it a shot and now I’m here answering this Q&A, so there's no reason the same can't happen to you.
Thanks so much for chatting with us and all the best in 2015!!
Thank you for having me and hope to chat again soon.